Sights to see on your visit
1. West Window 1961
Designed by W.T.Carter Shapland. Shows the Holy Family and 6 Northern Saints.
Replaced a Victorian window blown out in Second World War. The 3 interlinking rings at the top symbolise the Trinity.
2. Consistory Court c 1590
Moved here from the Lady Chapel by Bishop JOHN BRIDGEMAN in 1636.
Only surviving early ecclesiastical courtroom in the country. The woodwork may be late 1500s.
3. Nave Mosaics c. 1880
Various Old Testament scenes. Created 1883-1886,designed by JOHN CLAYTON.
Some of the finest 19th century Pre-Raphaelite mosaic works in the country.
4. Chester Imp
At the bottom right hand corner of the second clerestory window from the nave altar.
A carving of the Devil in chains, put up to scare off any evil spirits.
5. Westminster windows 1992
South Side of Nave Donated in 1992 by the present Duke of Westminster, in memory of his parents and to commemorate the 900th.
anniversary of the founding of the monastery.
6. Organ 1875
Loft and case 1876 by GEORGE GILBERT SCOTT. Organ built by Whitely and Co, a local firm. Rebuilt 1969 by Rushworth and Dreaper.
There are 4894 pipes, 4 keyboards and 76 speaking stops.
7. North Transept arch c. 1100
Very typical Norman architecture, heavy, massive and unadorned. Note the junction of the Norman arch with the later Gothic arch on the
8. Cobweb Picture
A picture of the Virgin and Child, painted on the web of a caterpillar. Quite famous; about 200 years old; possibly donated by the first
Duke of Westminster.
A Tyrolean art form, there are apparently 64 remaining in the world; this is the only one in the UK.
9. Chapter House 1225 - 1250
Very elegant well proportioned room, replacing an earlier Norman building. The monks met here each day for business, and heard a
chapter of the Rule of ST. BENEDICT. Hence "Chapter" House.
10. Quire stalls 1380
The quire stalls were probably constructed c.1380, almost certainly by the same craftsmen who made the stalls at Lincoln around 1370.
Misericords and the 'Elephant and Castle'
11. High Altar 1880
Altar itself is about 1880.Arrangement of riddel posts and carved angels 1957 by BERNARD MILLAR.
Mosaic behind altar is by SALVIATI (a Venetian) 1876. Massive bronze candlesticks late 16th/early 17th century by ORAZIO CENSORIO
(1569-1622), Cannon Maker to the Pope. Came from St. Thomas', Milan; given in 1872.
12. Lady Chapel. c.1270
First part of the main church to be built in the Gothic style (Early English). Dedicated to Mary, Mother of Jesus, hence "Lady" Chapel.
Murder of Thomas a Becket in ceiling boss – only one other is known (Exeter Cathedral).
Shrine of St Werburgh c. 1330
Early 14th. century, once contained the relics of ST. WERBURGH in the upper part. People would kneel or even sit in the niches.
Note the little dog scratching his ear. The statuettes are of Saxon rulers and saints and originally held little painted identification labels.
Only 7 shrine bases remain in country, so this is a rare survival.
There are many ways to support the Cathedral from donations through to buying a gift or simply enjoying a coffee in the Refectory. We welcome your support in whatever form it takes.
The Refectory, built in the 13th century, was the dining hall for the 40 monks who belonged to the community at the time. The Refectory is open from 9:30 - 4:30 and a delicious lunch menu, fabulous cakes and free Wi-Fi!
» Read More
The Shop provides a full range of souvenirs, books, gifts, cards, CDs and jewellery, some unique to Chester Cathedral; it's even possible to buy postage stamps!» Read More