Volunteering at the cathedral
Chester Cathedral relies heavily on its volunteers. They give generously of their time to welcome our visitors and help to meet the spiritual and financial aims of the establishment.
We are always looking for energetic and dynamic volunteers - with proven customer service and administrative skills where possible - to help support our staff across all areas of cathedral life.
Click here to download a volunteer enquiry form (Excel format)
Please complete the form and email to email@example.com or print the form, complete and return to:
Chester Cathedral Office
12 Abbey Square
If you need assistance in completing the form, please call in at the cathedral office.
Opportunities at Chester Cathedral
The list below indicates the areas in which we are seeking volunteers. This list is not exhaustive and if you have any other skills which you think would be appropriate, please do get in touch.
- Admissions and Box Office assistant
- Cleaning and litter collecting
- Event Front of House and stewarding
- Flower Guild - applicants with a background in floral arranging preferred
- Grounds maintenance
- Office administration and reception
- Painting, decorating and general maintenance
- Refectory Café assistant
- Shop assistant
- Verger's Assistant - helping with worship
In particular, we are looking for the following:
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- General IT skills, including Excel and Word
- Experience in sales and administration
- Experience in PR, marketing, taxation and finance
Volunteers must be able to commit to regular shifts and when on duty are considered full representatives of the cathedral and therefore complicit with all cathedral policies.
Volunteers in some roles will be subject to a DBS (formerly CRB) check before being permitted to work.
There are many ways to support the Cathedral from donations through to buying a gift or simply enjoying a coffee in the Refectory. We welcome your support in whatever form it takes.
The Refectory, built in the 13th century, was the dining hall for the 40 monks who belonged to the community at the time. The Refectory is open from 9:30 - 4:30 and a delicious lunch menu, fabulous cakes and free Wi-Fi!
» Read More
The Shop provides a full range of souvenirs, books, gifts, cards, CDs and jewellery, some unique to Chester Cathedral; it's even possible to buy postage stamps!» Read More